Monday, September 19, 2016

Something I found on quora

From Mostafa Hany Gomaa :

"it's normal to feel frustrated, and it's even normal to sometimes feel that you're just plain stupid when practicing algorithmic problems. I felt the same way when I first started practicing on codeforces. I could only do DIV 2 level A problems, and I even got stuck on some of them sometimes. I felt so frustrated that I asked one of my friends who is a pretty good competitive programmer,  what' the use if I can't even solve some DIV2 level A problems?. He told me it's normal, and just keep going. So, I will tell you the same thing, just keep trying. The biggest mistake you can make is get too frustrated and decide to quit. I know because I quit multiple times, but it is when I persevered that I started to see some improvement. I got faster, I was able to solve tougher problems, and it became more fun. I am still not that good, yet. Right now, I can consistently solve level A, B problems, and I am starting to build consistency on C problems, but I still have to make it to harder ones, and eventually to DIV1. So my advice is stick in there, if you get stuck on a problem, think about it as much as you can and give it a lot of effort, if you're still stuck after that, then ask someone for hints, if you still can't figure it out, then look up the solution. When you read the solution, make sure you understand it well, if you found out that you're missing some background knowledge, then study that. Also, it's very important to implement the solution after understanding it. Another important thing to consider is to save the links to the problems you couldn't figure out on your own so that you can revisit them later. If you revisit the problem at a later time, and you still couldn't solve it, then you didn't really understand its solution well enough. Finally, don't get too scared of harder problems. It's very easy to stay in the comfort zone of solving problems that are at your level. You should always keep pushing the limit and go for harder problems, otherwise you won't learn anything new and you won't see much improvement. Best of luck, and have fun :)."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Football Player Transfer Prediction

Football Player Transfer Prediction Using Different Classifiers Project Report :  Football Player Transfer Prediction Report ...